Monday, August 3, 2009

Ben's In-blog-ural Address

Well ... Howdy Y'all! I thought I'd better at least give a shout-out on this here blog before school begins tomorrow and I never get a chance to write in it again! :)

As Tearsa has previously mentioned, we had quite the time getting here. It was a memorable experience trying to keep our top-heavy, "stuffed to the rafters" Budget truck from rolling over every time we hit a bump in the road. On the plus side, we did get to see some of the best looking corn fields I've ever seen at a "scenic pace." Isn't that right Nate? (my trusty copilot for the ride who actually did most of the driving) We had a great group of guys on this end to help us unpack and I think they were taken aback when we opened the truck up at first.

We have since met and made friends with many of the student couples here in the ward. As of yesterday our bishop said we had at least 27 new student families that have moved in this summer and only 7 that have moved out. They are talking about making a 4th nursery! Welcome to BYU-Iowa.

This morning we had our first Thunderstorm here! I went and turned on the TV at about 5am to make sure there weren't any tornadoes headed our way. Nope. Just a "severe thunderstorm warning with the potential of producing quarter sized hail, dangerous lightning strikes, and damaging winds in excess of 60mph." It skimmed right to the North of us so we didn't get the full effects of it. I've always loved a good thunderstorm and boy do they have some good ones here. Makes up for them banning all fireworks but sparklers and snaps.

Well, I don't want to make this too long...oops, too late.

(for those of you who are still reading this)

So we finally did some serious shopping today to fill our cupboards with real food. While at the store Cole was getting all sort of feisty and ran behind the meats counter. I was gimpily chasing after him with my out-of-whack back and finally caught him in front of one of the butchers. They almost put him to work. I'm thinking a leash is going to come in handy. Especially after Tearsa has this baby.

Tearsa and I are doing great. Both of us have a lot of support here. Tearsa is being a trooper what with being prego in this heat, dealing with the nasty stale cigarette smoke smell in our apartment, and the many spiders she spots (or just senses sometimes). Cole is making friends but we know he misses all y'all. We really feel blessed to have been lead here and are excited for the next however long we will be here. We are so very blessed with wonderful and supportive family and friends and hope that you all know how much we love and appreciate you. Okay, that's all for now. I guess you can plan on hearing from me around Christmas-time.

Much Love!

3 comments:

Tara said...

so glad i'll be seeing more of your cute family than I EVER have before! Thank you BLOGGER! Glad you made it safe and sound y'all! Love ya!

allegra said...

i have been secretly wishing and hoping tearsa would set up a blog. i guess my wishes have been fulfilled and i couldn't be more thrilled! yipee! you guys are amazing and i can't wait to be able to peek into your future adventures through the good old blog world.

i'm glad you have a strong lds community and lots of good friends already. it makes all the difference when you're away from family. it's essential. they will become your family away from home.

love ya tears!

allegra said...

p.s. tearsa sorry i missed your call today. and i forgot to call you back...

man i'm really with it, huh. expect a call from me tomorrow.